As you can see it's quite rusty, but I think it has some nice details and has a very Art-Deco feel.
So I set about cleaning it up and removing all the rust prior to painting. After about two hours it was looking rust free and ready for the heat resistant paint I had cadged off my friend Richard the wood-burner installer.
With the rust cleaned off, I then washed the whole thing down with thinners and then flashed the thinners off. It was time for paint...
I'm pleased with the result and think it will look nice in my front room. Now I did say it's not always about woodwork, but as you can see there is something missing and I will need to make a timber fire surround to frame it, nothing fancy because I don't want to detract from the cast insert. My wife Katie has suggested painting the flowers for a bit of colour, but I'm not sure yet so will think about it for a bit.
Thanks for looking