Wednesday, 9 May 2012

DJ Booth.

I had an enquiry about a month ago for a curved DJ Booth, so I'm in the process of making it now and thought I would document the build.  Here is the overall design..




As you can see the corners are curved, and the front and returns are made from solid oak with a chamfer detail at all the intersections.


First job was to make the former for the curved corners, and that starts with a piece of 9 mm mdf and a hole.




I then need to use my radius jig for the router, its a piece of timber with a couple of spare guide bars from an old router, housed in for my router to attach too.




Just a matter of putting a screw in the marked centre-line.



And placing that on my pattern board.




Attach the router to the radius jig and line up to the required radius.





Then cut.


video

I then ripped a load of what will become my ribs for the former, they are made from scraps which is why they are from different materials, I have numbered and and used the cabinet makers triangle to ensure they are in order.



Then its just a matter of rough cutting the ribs, screwing the template that I cut earlier to the rough rib and routing.


I'm using a pattern cutting bit in my router for this.




Which gets me to here, the board under the ribs will become the base to my former.


Its then a case of gluing and screwing the ribs to the base board.



Then I need to transfer the rib spacings to a piece of 8 mm bendy ply, and mark the centre.



Run glue over the ribs, pin the centre line and work my way to the edge




One former, about 5hrs work.



I then got on with machining the oak for the front and returns.



Thats as far as I've got today.  Thanks for looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment