Then I nail the sides together with a small veneer pin, this hole virtually disappears on final clean up, and is a traditional way of cutting the sides together. I've used masking tape in the past, but find it can move, unless you use a lot which then lifts the sides off the bandsaw table, and breakout occurs. Marked out the tails next, I'm going for three.
Then to the bandsaw, making sure the pin will go into the mitre slot when I flip it to get the waste out.
Which brings me to here.
I then separate the sides, and its onto some hand work. I tend to find it easier if I angle the chisel back a bit, then square pare to this.
Then its on to marking the pins, I'm using a home made marking knife that is easy to flip to each side.
I hogged out the waste as I did in my previous post. Which brought me to a dry fit, then I cut the birch ply bottoms out.
Cleaned all the machine marks off the inside with my L/N #4, and glued them up.
Close up of the finished joint.
All in all these took me 15hrs to get all six to this stage, including machining the stock. I'm happy with this time but will get quicker on the next batch, and think the jig worked well. I've added a sacrificial top to the jig that can be used on each batch then renewed.
Thanks for looking.