Monday, 21 February 2011

Blanket Chest really finished

I finally decided on a finish for the chest, and that's a hard wax oil by Fiddes. I took a look at the tried and true website recommended by Alex, and found that they had a similar product called, Original wood finish. I gave the outside one complete coat and wiped off the excess, then another and did the same. I gave the top inside and out a further two coats, then the whole thing(except inside for now) about five thin coats of paste wax.

I'm not completely satisfied with the shape on the bearers, but they passed a close inspection from my wife, so must be OK.

I'm taking it round one of my clients to be photographed for my website tomorrow, and they have shown an interest in maybe buying it. So I will see how that pans out tomorrow, thanks for looking.


  1. Bearers look good to me too! Whole thing looks great. Noticed you used slotted wood screws instead of phillips or square heads. I'll never go back to a phillips or square head. Something charming about the slotted screw. Nice detail.

  2. Cheers Alex, a phillips head screw, would just look so wrong. At least on a traditional piece, they have their place of course, but not on older style furniture.

  3. Updates man... we need updates!

    Hope all is well mate.

  4. Well.... I'm not going out of my way to sell it, as my wife wants it(read claimed), so it looks like we are keeping it. I've been on site for the last three weeks, but I have some nice oak fitted wardrobes next week.