Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Blog Moving

Sadly this will be my last Blog entry on blogger, I have decided to keep it all in one place, so I have moved the whole blog to my new website here. It will remain the same as before, and it would be great if you kind people that read my ramblings, would do the same on my new site.  I will still answer any questions posted on here of course.

See you on the other side, thank you.

Friday, 18 May 2012

DJ Booth Finished.

Got this finished today, and it took about 2hrs to fit.  Heres some finished pictures...

I've enjoyed making this one, and can see me making more curved work in the future.  Thanks for looking.

Thursday, 17 May 2012

DJ Booth III

Okay this is all finished in the workshop now and I'm fitting it tomorrow and will update with finished pictures then. But for now I have filled in the middle and have made the two returns and polished it with Hard Wax Oil.

Heres a few pics of the finished DJ Booth in the white, right hand end return.

Left hand small return with side cap fixed.

Right side and centre.  

Front elevation

Believe it or not the hardest components to make and fit were the front and side returns.
Thats it I will update tomorrow when fitted, thanks for looking.

Monday, 14 May 2012

It's Not Always About Woodwork.

   Where my workshop is on our farm, we always get a lot of the scrap metal lads turning up asking if we have any scrap metal.  Well, on Saturday they turned up asking if we had any, we didn't, but I noticed a cast iron fireplace on the back of their truck and asked if they would like to sell it rather than melting it down for scrap.  We agreed on a price, and they unloaded it for me.

As you can see it's quite rusty, but I think it has some nice details and has a very Art-Deco feel.

So I set about cleaning it up and removing all the rust prior to painting.  After about two hours it was looking rust free and ready for the heat resistant paint I had cadged off my friend Richard the wood-burner installer.

With the rust cleaned off, I then washed the whole thing down with thinners and then flashed the thinners off. It was time for paint...

I'm pleased with the result and think it will look nice in my front room. Now I did say it's not always about woodwork, but as you can see there is something missing and I will need to make a timber fire surround to frame it, nothing fancy because I don't want to detract from the cast insert.  My wife Katie has suggested painting the flowers for a bit of colour, but I'm not sure yet so will think about it for a bit.
Thanks for looking

Friday, 11 May 2012

DJ Booth II.

I've been making progress with the Oak DJ Booth, I think I had got as far as making the former, so it was time to form the curved corners.

I think the last time I did this kind of work was about 15yrs ago when I was working in the Netherlands fitting out luxury motor yachts, I was going to take some pictures of this process but needed to get a move on as the glue was setting up to fast. So I jumped right to the three layers of 8-3-8 mms of bendy ply seen here in my vac-bag.

With that in the former it was time to turn my attention to the area where the decks and mixer are going, my client wanted to have the decks flush with the top and the mixer on a raised and sloped pedestal. The back of this area needs to follow the curved corner, so I need to rout a top and a bottom shelf at the same time.  I have left these both over width so I can use my radius jig, and then just rip the screw hole off.

I then made another jig for the router so the deck holes could be cut out, here you can see them cut out and edged.  I have also cut some bearers in at 63mm plus the 19mm for the top, this makes 82mm, so the decks will come flush with the top.

You can see the mixer pedestal below.

This all needs to sit on a shelving unit for an amp, and record storage below. This needs a back in of course, but I have left that out until I have drilled all the holes I need for cables.

With the deck stand at the correct height I can now try the curved ends for a fit, its about 0.7mm out at the moment but with the layer of veneer it will be spot on.

And with both curved corners on.

Deck area.

Now because there is a chamfer detail on all intersections, I need to lip both edges on these corner forms before veneering.

With that done and trimmed off I need to get on with the veneering, which means I get to use my festool veneer trimmer.  Hmm could do with a new blade me thinks, but worked a treat and I did all twenty pieces in one cut.

So it was time to get it back in the bag.

Out of the bag and a quick check over for faults...none found I'm pleased to report.

2hrs later and a bit of scraping and sanding gets me to here.

Thats it for for now have a good weekend and thanks for looking.